Dental examinations are a crucial key in ensuring and maintaining proper oral health. At the Poway, CA practice of cosmetic dentists, Drs. Langenbach and Thomas, patients can expect to receive comprehensive, thorough exams, while remaining comfortable during the entire exam. Taking their time to fully assess every aspect of oral health, our experienced dentists usually take about 1 ½ hours to not only complete the dental exam, but also to review a patient’s medical and dental history. The exam includes:
- Diagnostic X-rays to help detect the presence of decay, tumors, cysts, bone loss, and also determine tooth and root positions
- Oral cancer screening, where the medical professional will examine the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for signs of oral cancer
- Gum disease evaluation, which includes examining the gums and also the bone around the teeth for signs of periodontal (gum) disease
- Examination of tooth decay, where tooth surfaces will be examined for decay
- Examination of existing restorations, such as fillings, crowns, bridges, and implants
- Screening for temporomandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction
- Screening for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)
“This was the first time I had my teeth cleaned without pain! Wonderful! ”
– E. / Demandforce / Oct 03, 2011
WHAT TO EXPECT
The dental examination seeks to evaluate the overall health of the patient’s teeth, gums, bones, and jaw. During the examination, the dentist will look at the patient’s mouth as well and take X-rays to get a more in-depth understanding of their oral care needs. Through physical exams and X-rays, the dentist will be able to assess and diagnose any cavities, chips, disease, and decay in the mouth. The dentist will discuss any concerns regarding their exam as well as offer recommendations for care options.
Dentists highly recommend that patients receive a dental examination and check-up at least once a year, in addition to cleanings every 3 – 6 months. This ensures optimal dental health for each patient.
The cost for an annual dental examination varies among practices, but it averages between $100 and $300. Patients paying out of pocket may discuss payment options during their consultation.
GET A HEALTHIER SMILE
If you are eager to show off a smile that is healthy and pristine, call our office for a consultation. With many advanced treatment options, our dental office will strive to give you a brilliant mouth of pearly white teeth. Our office looks forward to meeting you soon.